The accelerated approvals of Kymriah (Novartis) for the treatment of children and young adults with relapsed/refractory B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) and Yescarta (Kite Pharma, a Gilead company) for relapsed/refractory large B-cell lymphoma herald a new era in cancer immunotherapy. In this series of reports, we present a comprehensive analysis of current and emerging chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cell therapies. We examine the CAR T-cell treatment landscape: the technology behind it, ongoing clinical development, the challenges, pricing and market access, physicians’ views, and future opportunities for this paradigm-shifting treatment approach.
- How is CAR T-cell therapy being adopted into medical practice? What kind of referral patterns are in place for potentially eligible patients? What is the typical patient journey for a patient receiving CAR T-cell therapy?
- What kind of support and training programs for Kymriah and Yescarta are in place for healthcare professionals, patients, and caregivers?
- What are the key pricing, access, and reimbursement issues facing Kymriah and Yescarta? What novel reimbursement strategies are marketers implementing to ensure market access?
- What challenges remain and could limit widespread and maximum adoption of autologous CD19-targeted CAR T-cell therapies? What are the future directions and opportunities?
- What are the notable developments in the pipeline? Who are the key players, and what novel targets are they exploring?
Special Topics Report Series: Is a three-wave series based on KOL interviews conducted at about one, six, and twelve months postcommercialization and on secondary data collected from a variety of sources. We capture physicians’ awareness, perception, and use of the launched product and anticipated future trends.
Markets covered: United States
Primary research: Qualitative interviews with ten U.S. hematologist-oncologists and thought leaders for the three waves.
Key metrics included:
- Physician familiarity with and impressions of Kymriah, Yescarta, and other CAR T-cell therapies in the pipeline.
- Referral patterns, patient journey, and certification of treatment centers.
- Current manufacturing and scalability challenges.
- Marketing and educational programs for patients, healthcare professionals, and caregivers.
- Cost of CAR T-cell therapy and novel pricing and market access strategies.
- Chimeric Antigen Receptor (CAR) T-Cell Therapy - Emerging Therapies - Chimeric Antigen (CAR) T-Cell Therapy - Special Topics - US (Wave 3)
- Executive Summary
- Summary of Kymriah vs. Yescarta
- Expert Insight
- The CAR T-Cell Therapy Paradigm
- Engineering Autologous T-Cell Therapy
- Expert Insights on CAR T-Cell Technology
- Kymriah (Tisagenlecleucel-T)
- Timeline for Administration of Kymriah Therapy for B-Cell ALL
- Results from Key Clinical Trials of Kymriah in the Treatment of B-Cell ALL and DLBCL
- Expert Insights on Kymriah
- Patient Journey and Referral Patterns for Kymriah Therapy for B-Cell ALL Patients
- Expert Insights on the Patient Journey and Referral Patterns for Kymriah
- Support and Training Programs for Kymriah
- Expert Insights on the Support and Training Programs for Kymriah
- Pricing, Access, and Reimbursement for Kymriah
- Expert Insights on Pricing, Access, and Reimbursement for Kymriah
- Ongoing Clinical Development of Kymriah
- Key Ongoing Clinical Trials of Kymriah
- Yescarta (Axicabtagene Ciloleucel)
- Timeline for Administration of Yescarta Therapy for Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- Results of Key Clinical Trials Investigating Yescarta for the Treatment of NHL
- Expert Insights on Yescarta
- Support and Training Programs for Yescarta
- Expert Insights on the Support and Training Programs for Yescarta
- Pricing, Access, and Reimbursement for Yescarta
- Expert Insights on Pricing, Access, and Reimbursement for Yescarta
- Ongoing Clinical Development of Yescarta
- Key Ongoing Clinical Trials of Yescarta
- Choosing Between Kymriah and Yescarta
- Physiciansu2019 Choice Between Kymriah and Yescarta
- Choosing Between Kymriah and Yescarta for Adult Patients with Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Pipeline
- Notable Developments in the Pipeline
- CAR T-Cell Therapies in Clinical Development
- Expert Insights on the CAR T-Cell Pipeline
- Challenges and Future Directions
- Challenges Facing Current CD19-Targeted CAR T-Cell Therapies
- Future Directions and Opportunities for CAR T-Cell Therapies
- Expert Insight on the Challenges and Future Directions of CAR T-Cell Therapy
- Key Abbreviations Related to CAR T-Cell Therapy
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Bibliography