The accelerated approvals of Kymriah (Novartis) for the treatment of children and young adults with relapsed/refractory B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) and Yescarta (Kite Pharma, a Gilead company) for relapsed/refractory large B-cell lymphoma herald a new era in cancer immunotherapy. In this series of reports, we present a comprehensive analysis of current and emerging chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cell therapies. We examine the CAR T-cell treatment landscape: the technology behind it, ongoing clinical development, the challenges, pricing and market access, physicians’ views, and future opportunities for this paradigm-shifting treatment approach.
- How is CAR T-cell therapy being adopted into medical practice? What kind of referral patterns are in place for potentially eligible patients? What is the typical patient journey for a patient receiving CAR T-cell therapy?
- What kind of support and training programs for Kymriah and Yescarta are in place for healthcare professionals, patients, and caregivers?
- What are the key pricing, access, and reimbursement issues facing Kymriah and Yescarta? What novel reimbursement strategies are marketers implementing to ensure market access?
- What challenges remain and could limit widespread and maximum adoption of autologous CD19-targeted CAR T-cell therapies? What are the future directions and opportunities?
- What are the notable developments in the pipeline? Who are the key players, and what novel targets are they exploring?
Special Topics Report Series: Is a three-wave series based on KOL interviews conducted at about one, six, and twelve months postcommercialization and on secondary data collected from a variety of sources. We capture physicians’ awareness, perception, and use of the launched product and anticipated future trends.
Markets covered: United States
Primary research: Qualitative interviews with ten U.S. hematologist-oncologists and thought leaders for the three waves.
Key metrics included:
- Physician familiarity with and impressions of Kymriah, Yescarta, and other CAR T-cell therapies in the pipeline.
- Referral patterns, patient journey, and certification of treatment centers.
- Current manufacturing and scalability challenges.
- Marketing and educational programs for patients, healthcare professionals, and caregivers.
- Cost of CAR T-cell therapy and novel pricing and market access strategies.