Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) has the potential to be a large and lucrative market for pharmacotherapies owing to the lack of approved agents and the relatively high prevalence of the disease. Currently, only off-label medications are available for NASH, which, combined with limited awareness of the disease and the challenges in making a diagnosis, translates to low treatment rates. However, new diagnostics and the anticipated launch of the first approved therapies (including Intercept Pharmaceutical’s obeticholic acid, Gilead’s selonsertib, Genfit’s elafibranor, and Allergan’s cenicriviroc) should have a positive impact on NASH management. These innovative novel therapies will be able to command high prices, but exactly how they will be adopted into medical practice could determine commercial success.
- What are U.S. specialists’ attitudes and perceptions regarding diagnosis and treatment of NASH?
- How could the availability of new noninvasive diagnostic tests for NASH (e.g., serum biomarkers or imaging) affect diagnosis and treatment rates?
- How are U.S. hepatologists and gastroenterologists treating NASH patients?
- What off-label medications are being utilized?
- What are the drivers determining prescribing practices for NASH?
- What might Intercept Pharmaceutical’s obeticholic acid, Gilead’s selonsertib, Genfit’s elafibranor, and Allergan’s cenicriviroc need to demonstrate to convince prescribers to switch from off-label treatments?
- Geography: United States
- Primary research survey of 100 U.S. hepatologists and gastroenterologists
- Key drugs covered: Pioglitazone, vitamin E, metformin, SGLT-2 inhibitors, GLP-1 receptor agonists, lipid-modifying therapies, RAAS inhibitors, ursodeoxycholic acid
- Key insights provided:
- Factors influencing disease management and treatment decisions
- Drivers of treatment selection
- Physician-reported treatment practices and brand-level patient shares
- Rationale for changes in treatment approach
- Physician insight on persistency and compliance
Current Treatment: Physician Insights provides physician insights on treatment dynamics, prescribing behavior, and drivers of brand use, so you can create specific messaging around these treatment dynamics in order to more effectively increase or defend your market position.
- Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis : Current Treatment : Physician Insights (US)
- Current Treatment Physician Insights Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis US June 2019