NASH has the potential to be a large and lucrative therapy market owing to the disease’s prevalence and the lack of approved agents. Patients with NASH are at risk of liver fibrosis, cardiovascular disease, and cancer. Currently, physicians are limited to off-label therapies that have limited evidence to support prescribing. Consequently, there is a pressing need for new, effective drug treatments. With the launch of the first labeled / branded therapy on the horizon, we use claims data to examine how NASH is currently treated in the United States in both newly diagnosed and recently treated patients.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed NASH patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed NASH patients?
- How have off-label therapies, including Intercept Pharmaceuticals’ Ocaliva, been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what are their source of business?
- What percentage of NASH patients receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of NASH patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
Markets covered: United States
Key companies: Novo Nordisk, AstraZeneca, Eli Lilly, Intercept Pharmaceuticals
Key drugs: Ocaliva (obeticholic acid), pioglitazone, vitamin E, metformin, ursodeoxycholic acid, statins, SGLT-2 inhibitors, GLP-1 receptor agonists
- Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis - Current Treatment - Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis | Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis | US - 2021
- Treatment Algorithms CDA Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) US February 2021
- Treatment Algorithms CDA Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) US 2021 Dashboard
Shambhavi Shukla, MTech., is an analyst on the Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Renal, and Hematologic (CMRH) Disorders team at Clarivate. Before joining Clarivate, Shambhavi was with Evalueserve for four years, where she worked closely with top pharmaceutical companies, helping them with commercial and technical ad-hoc requests. She has delivered competitive landscape and market insight projects for various indications, including Schizophrenia, Multiple Sclerosis, Myopia, Osteoporosis, and FSGS. She holds a master’s degree in biotechnology from Amity University, India.