Giant cell arteritis (GCA) is an autoimmune disease marked by inflammation of blood vessels in the head and neck, leading to persistent headaches, flu-like symptoms, and risk of blindness. The most common treatment for GCA is high doses of corticosteroids, typically started immediately after diagnosis to reduce the risk of blindness and tapered over the next 12-24 months. In 2017, the first targeted treatment for GCA, Roche’s Actemra, was approved. Other key autoimmune drugs, including Bristol Myers Squibb’s Orencia, AbbVie’s Rinvoq, and Sobi’s Kineret, are in late-phase trials for GCA, suggesting increasing interest in this potentially lucrative and untapped market.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed GCA patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed GCA patients?
- How have DMARDs and Actemra been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what are their sources of business?
- What percentage of GCA patients receive drug therapy within one year of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within one year of diagnosis?
- What percentage of GCA patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
The accompanying interactive dashboard provides novel delivery of data with interactive visuals, easier navigation, expanded analyses, and quarterly data refreshes.
Markets covered: United States
Key companies: Bayer, Genentech / Roche, Novartis, Janssen, Bristol Myers Squibb
Key drugs: Actemra, Stelara, Cosentyx, Orencia, corticosteroids, methotrexate, aspirin, hydroxychloroquine, dapsone
- Giant Cell Arteritis - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms - Claims Data Analysis (US)
- Treatment Algorithms CDA Giant Cell Arteritis US April 2021
- Treatment Algorithms CDA Giant Cell Arteritis US 2021 Dashboard
Shubhendu Ghosh, Ph.D.
Shubhendu Ghosh, Ph.D., is a senior business insights analyst on the Immune and Inflammatory Disorders team at Clarivate. His focus is the asthma therapy market. Previously, Dr. Ghosh was an associate editor at Nature Structural & Molecular Biology and a copy editor at Nature Medicine. He was also a scientific and developmental editor at Nature Research Editing Service. He holds a Ph.D. in biomedical sciences from the University of Massachusetts Medical School, a B.Sc. in microbiology from Delhi University, and an M.Sc. in biotechnology from Madurai Kamaraj University.