Open Access on Web of Science means:
- Researchers get to more free, trusted full text faster
- Libraries get the best value from their full text budgets
- Publishers get increased exposure of their Open Access content
- Users can filter any search to view just OA content
- Clear labels identify which publications are OA
- Run search and analysis on Open Access content to see trends in OA publishing
- Install Kopernio for one-click access to open or subscription full text
Web of Science was the original innovator in Open Access discovery and we continue to lead the way through strategic innovation and partnerships
In 2014 we invented OA discovery, and In 2017 we partnered with Impactstory to provide better identification of Open Access publications already indexed in the Web of Science, and now, in 2018 we extended our offering to include legal peer-reviewed Green and previously hidden Hybrid Gold.
Through cutting-edge collaboration – in a novel public/private partnership, Clarivate Analytics joined with Impactstory, a non-profit organization devoted to making science more open and reusable, to achieve the goal of making Open Access content easier to discover. We provided Impactstory with a grant to help them develop their OA discovery technology, which enabled a more complete corpus of all types of OA discovered by Impactstory to be made openly available, not just to Web of Science users but the global research community as a whole, via Impactstory’s Unpaywall services. The grant has also helped to push the limits of their discovery of hybrid gold content and address the problem of green open access versioning for the first
time. Today, Web of Science is using the enhanced Open Access identification technology from Impactstory.
OA versions available on Web of Science:
- DOAJ Gold, Other Gold (Hybrid), Bronze, and Green OA
- For Green OA articles, Web of Science will link to peer-reviewed versions legally hosted in open repositories
- Accepted Version
- Published Version
- For all OA articles, Web of Science will preference links to the publisher’s Gold or Bronze version, when available.
- WEEKLY UPDATES will contain newly discovered OA and any changes to OA status or links that Impactstory finds.
PLEASE NOTE: Number of open access records available will depend on your institutional Web of Science collection entitlements