DRG Epidemiology's coverage of obesity/overweight comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations across the major mature pharmaceutical markets (the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and Japan). We report the prevalence of obesity/overweight for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets and 10 years for the other countries covered in this report. In addition to forecasting prevalent patient populations, the number of drug-treatment opportunities at specific lines of therapy are also forecast across the major mature pharmaceutical markets.
DRG Epidemiology's obesity/overweight forecast will answer the following questions:
- How will changes in the levels of exposure to known risk or protective factors affect the number of people living with obesity/overweight?
- Of all people with obesity/overweight, how many in each country across the major mature pharmaceutical markets have been formally diagnosed?
- Of all people diagnosed with obesity/overweight, how many in each country across the major mature pharmaceutical markets are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of obesity/overweight over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is also provided for full transparency into research and methods. In addition, we provide a graphical depiction of the patient flow between or within different disease states for the major mature pharmaceutical markets. These patient flow diagrams are provided at the regional level, but may be requested for any specific country or forecast year.
In total, DRG Epidemiology forecasts obesity/overweight patient populations, as follows:
- Obesity prevalent cases.
- Overweight prevalent cases.
- Class I obesity prevalent cases.
- Class II obesity prevalent cases.
- Class III obesity prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed drug-treated prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed non-drug-treated prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases.
- Drug-treatable overweight population.
- Non-drug-treatable overweight population.
- … and more (details available on request).
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Obesity/Overweight - Epidemiology - Europe
- Key Findings
- Total Prevalence of Obesity per 100 People Aged 20 or Older in 2019 and 2029
- Relative Sizes of the Contributing Factors to the Trend in Total Prevalent Cases of Obesity Over the Next 10 Years
- Number of Additional Prevalent Cases of Obesity Incurred Over 2019-2039 in the Countries Under Study
- Epidemiology Data
- Total Prevalent Cases
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Obesity
- Drug-Treated Prevalent Cases of Obesity
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of Overweight and Obesity
- Studies Excluded from the Analysis of Overweight and Obesity
- Risk/Protective Factors
- Risk/Protective Factors for Overweight and Obesity