Clarivate Epidemiology’s coverage of ulcerative colitis (UC) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations in 45 countries worldwide. We report both the incidence and prevalence of UC for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets and 10 years for the other countries covered in this report. In addition to forecasting incident and prevalent patient populations, we estimate the number of drug-treatment opportunities in specific lines of therapy in the major mature pharmaceutical markets.
Clarivate Epidemiology’s UC forecast will answer the following questions:
- How will changes in the levels of exposure to known risk or protective factors affect the number of people living with a diagnosis of UC?
- Of all people diagnosed with UC, how many in each of the major mature pharmaceutical markets are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of UC over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the Clarivate Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is also provided for full transparency into research and methods.
Clarivate Epidemiology forecasts 12 UC patient populations, as follows:
- Diagnosed prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed incident cases.
- Diagnosed drug-treated (acute setting) prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed non-drug-treated (acute setting) prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed drug-treated (maintenance setting) prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed non-drug-treated (maintenance setting) prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed E1 (ulcerative proctitis) prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed E2 (left-sided UC) prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed E3 (extensive UC) prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed mild prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed moderate prevalent cases.
- Diagnosed severe prevalent cases.
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Ulcerative Colitis - Epidemiology - Middle East & Africa
- Key Findings
- Prevalence of ulcerative colitis per 100,000 people of all ages in 2021 and 2031
- Relative sizes of the contributing factors to the trend in prevalent cases of ulcerative colitis over the next 10 years
- Analysis of the prevalent cases of ulcerative colitis in 2021 by extent of disease
- Number of additional prevalent cases of ulcerative colitis in 2031
- Epidemiology data
- Diagnosed prevalent cases
- Diagnosed incident cases
- Extent of disease
- Disease severity
- Reference materials
- Literature review
- Studies included in the analysis of ulcerative colitis
- Studies excluded from the analysis of ulcerative colitis
- Risk/protective factors