DRG Epidemiology’s coverage of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations in 45 countries worldwide. We report the prevalence of COPD for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets of the United States, Europe, and Japan and 10 years for the other countries covered in this report.
DRG Epidemiology’s COPD forecast will answer the following questions:
- How will changes in the levels of exposure to known risk or protective factors affect the number of people living with COPD?
- In developing countries, what impact will economic growth and development have on the number of people living with a diagnosis of COPD?
- Of all people with COPD, how many in each country have been formally diagnosed?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of COPD over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is provided for full transparency into research and methods.
In addition to the total number of cases for each forecast year, DRG Epidemiology provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following COPD subpopulations:
- Eosinophilic COPD.
- Severity status.
- Drug-treatment status.
- Exacerbations in mild-moderate disease status.
- Exacerbations in severe-very severe disease status.
- Diagnosis status.
- … and more (details available on request).
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - Epidemiology - Europe
- Key Findings
- Total Prevalence: GOLD-Defined Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease per 100 People Aged 40+ in 2018 and 2038
- Relative Sizes of the Contributing Factors to the Trend in Prevalent Cases: GOLD-Defined Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease over the Next Twenty Years
- Analysis of GOLD-Defined Prevalent Cases of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in 2018 by Diagnosis Status
- Analysis of the Total Prevalent Cases: GOLD-Defined of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in 2018 by Disease Severity
- Number of Prevalent Cases of GOLD-Defined Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in 2038 Prevented in the Countries Under Study due to Trends in Riskttttttttt
- Epidemiology Data
- Total incident cases: GOLD-defined
- Total prevalent cases: GOLD-defined
- Total prevalent cases: GOLD-defined or spirometric-negative
- Spirometric-negative prevalent cases
- Total GOLD-defined prevalent cases by severity
- Diagnosed GOLD-defined prevalent cases
- Diagnosed GOLD-defined or spirometric-negative prevalent cases
- Diagnosed GOLD-defined or spirometric-negative prevalent cases by severity
- Acute Exacerbations of COPD
- Eosinophilic COPD
- Drug-Treated Cases of COPD
- Lifetime DALYs Gained
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Studies Excluded from the Analysis of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Risk/Protective Factors
- Risk/Protective Factors for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease