DRG Epidemiology’s coverage of epilepsy comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations in 45 countries. We report both the incidence and the prevalence of epilepsy for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets and 10 years for the other countries covered. In addition to forecasting incident and prevalent patient populations, we forecast the number of drug-treatment opportunities in specific lines of therapy in the United States, Europe, and Japan.
DRG Epidemiology’s epilepsy forecast will answer the following questions:
- Of all people with epilepsy, how many in the countries have been formally diagnosed?
- Of all people diagnosed with epilepsy, how many in each country across the major mature pharmaceutical markets are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of epilepsy over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is provided for full transparency into research and methods.
In addition to the total number of cases for each forecast year, DRG Epidemiology provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following epilepsy subpopulations:
- Diagnosed prevalence of Lennox-Gastaut cases by intractable epilepsy.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by risk of acute repetitive seizures.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by drug-treatment status.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by seizure level.
- Diagnosed prevalence ofLennox-Gastaut cases by type of seizure.
- Diagnosed prevalence of Lennox-Gastaut cases by status epilepticus.
- Drug-treated prevalent cases by drug-resistance status.
- Scn1a mutation status.
- Status epilepticus status.
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Epilepsy - Epidemiology - Europe
- Key Findings
- Prevalence of Epilepsy per 1,000 People of All Ages in 2021 and 2041ttttttttttttttt
- Relative Sizes of the Factors Contributing to the Trend in Prevalent Cases of Epilepsy Over the Next 20 Yearstttttttttttttttt
- Analysis of Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Epilepsy in the Countries Under Study in 2021 by Type of Seizurettttttttttttttt
- Epidemiology Data
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases
- Type of Epileptic Seizure
- Drug-Resistant Epilepsy
- Acute Repetitive Seizures
- Percentage Drug-Treated
- Diagnosed Prevalence of Dravet Syndrome
- Diagnosed Incidence of Dravet Syndrome
- Dravet Syndrome With Status Epilepticus
- Dravet Syndrome With the SCN1A Mutation
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of Epilepsy
- Studies Excluded From the Analysis of Epilepsy
- Risk/Protective Factors