DRG Epidemiology's coverage of chronic low back pain (CLBP) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations across 45 countries worldwide. We report the prevalence of CLBP for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets of the United States, Europe, and Japan, and 10 years for the other countries covered in this report.
DRG Epidemiology's CLBP will answer the following questions:
- Of all people with CLBP, how many in each country across the major mature pharmaceutical markets have been formally diagnosed?
- Of all people diagnosed with CLBP, how many in each country across the major mature pharmaceutical markets are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of CLBP over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is also provided for full transparency into research and methods.
In addition to the total number of cases for each forecast year, DRG Epidemiology also provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following CLBP subpopulations:
- Total prevalent cases by diagnosis status.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by drug-treatment status.
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
Last updated: March 2018
- Chronic Low Back Pain - Epidemiology - Mature Markets Data
- Key Findings
- Total Prevalence of Chronic Low Back Pain per 100 People Aged 20+ in 2021
- Relative Sizes of the Contributing Factors to the Trend in Total Prevalent Cases of Chronic Low Back Pain Over the Next 20 Years
- Analysis of Total Prevalent Cases of Chronic Low Back Pain in 2018 by Diagnosed and Drug-Treated Status
- Epidemiology Data
- Total Prevalent Cases
- Percentage Diagnosed
- Percentage Drug-Treated
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of Chronic Low Back Pain
- Studies Excluded From the Analysis of Chronic Low Back Pain
- Risk/Protective Factors
- Risk/Protective Factors for Chronic Low Back Pain
- Abbreviation Table