Clarivate Epidemiology’s coverage of spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations in the major mature pharmaceutical markets (the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and Japan). We report the diagnosed prevalence of the disease for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
In addition to forecasting diagnosed prevalent patient populations, we estimate the number of drug-treatment opportunities in specific lines of therapy.
Clarivate Epidemiology’s SMA forecast will answer the following questions:
- How will changes in the levels of exposure to known risk or protective factors affect the number of people living with SMA?
- Of all people diagnosed with SMA, how many in each of the major mature pharmaceutical markets under study are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of SMA over the forecast period?
All forecast data are available on Clarivate’s Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is provided for full transparency into research and methods.
In addition to the total number of cases for each forecast year, Clarivate Epidemiology provides at least 10 years of forecast data for the following SMA subpopulations:
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of SMA by type.
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of SMA by drug-treatment status.
- Prevalent carriers of SMN1 gene copies.
Note: Coverage may vary by country.
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy - Epidemiology - Mature Markets
- Key Findings
- Diagnosed Prevalence of Spinal Muscular Atrophy per 100,000 People of All Ages in 2021 and 2031
- Relative Sizes of the Contributing Factors to the Trend in Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Spinal Muscular Atrophy over the Next 10 Years
- Analysis of the Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Spinal Muscular Atrophy in 2021 by Disease Subtype
- Epidemiology Data
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Spinal Muscular Atrophy by Type
- Drug-Treated Prevalent Cases of Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Total Prevalent Carriers of Nonfunctional SMN1
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Studies Excluded from the Analysis of Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Risk/Protective Factors
- Risk/Protective Factors for Spinal Muscular Atrophy