DRG Epidemiology's coverage of multiple sclerosis (MS) comprises epidemiological estimates of key patient populations across 45 countries worldwide. We report both the diagnosed prevalence and the diagnosed incidence of MS for each country, as well as annualized case counts projected to the national population.
Most patient populations are forecast over a period of 20 years for the major mature pharmaceutical markets of the United States, Europe and Japan, and 10 years for the other countries covered in this report.
All forecast data are available on the DRG Insights Platform in tabular format, with options to download to MS Excel. All populations are accompanied by a comprehensive description of the methods and data sources used, with hyperlinks to external sources. A summary evidence table generated as part of our systematic review of the epidemiological literature is also provided for full transparency into research and methods.
DRG Epidemiology's MS forecast will answer the following questions:
- How will changes in the levels of exposure to known risk or protective factors affect the number of people living with a diagnosis of MS and the number of new diagnoses of MS?
- In developing countries, what impact will economic growth and development have on the number of people living with a diagnosis of MS and the number of new diagnoses of MS?
- How will improvements in survival change the number of people living with a diagnosis of MS?
- Of all people diagnosed with MS, how many in each country across the major mature pharmaceutical markets are drug-treated?
- How will demographic trends, such as population aging and improving life expectancy, affect the epidemiology of MS over the forecast period?
In addition to the total number of cases for each forecast year, DRG Epidemiology also provides at least ten years of forecast data for the following MS subpopulations:
- Diagnosed incident cases by disease subtype
- Diagnosed prevalent cases by disease subtype
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of CP-MS by disease subtype
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of RR-MS&CIS by disease subtype
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of CIS by treatment status
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of RR-MS by treatment status
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of PP-MS by treatment status
- Diagnosed prevalent cases of SP-MS by treatment status
Note: coverage may vary by country.
- Multiple Sclerosis - Epidemiology - Mature Markets
- Key Updates
- Diagnosed Prevalence of Multiple Sclerosis per 100,000 Among People Aged 10+ in 2019 and 2039
- Relative Sizes of the Contributing Factors to the Trend in Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Multiple Sclerosis Over the Next 20 Years
- Analysis of the Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of Multiple Sclerosis in 2019 by Disease Subgroups
- Number of Additional Prevalent Cases of Multiple Sclerosis Across the Countries Under Study Due to Trends in Survival
- Epidemiology Data
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases
- Diagnosed Incident Cases
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases by Disease Subtype
- Diagnosed Incident Cases by Disease Subtype
- Diagnosed Prevalent Cases by Treatment Scheme
- Lifetime DALYs Gained
- Reference Materials
- Literature Review
- Studies Included in the Analysis of Multiple Sclerosis
- Studies Excluded from the Analysis of Multiple Sclerosis
- Risk/Protective Factors
- Risk/Protective Factors for Multiple Sclerosis