Two types of pharmacotherapy are used to treat adult asthma: rescue therapy and maintenance therapy. Rescue therapy (e.g., a SABA such as ProAir HFA or its generics) treats the acute symptoms of asthma via bronchodilation; maintenance therapy (e.g., a LABA/ICS such as GSK’s Advair or AstraZeneca’s Symbicort) is used to prevent exacerbations by targeting the underlying pathophysiology. Many adult patients receive several agents to treat their asthma. Despite the availability of multiple well-established therapies for adult asthma, the treatment landscape has witnessed the approval and launch of even more agents, including novel biologics (e.g., Regeneron / Sanofi’s Dupixent) and generic versions of the blockbuster inhaled drugs (e.g., albuterol sulfate and salmeterol / fluticasone). These launches have added more treatment options and fueled more-intense competition in this market.
- What patient shares do key drugs garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed adult asthma patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed adult asthma patients?
- How have newer biologics, such as AstraZeneca’s Fasenra or Dupixent, been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what are their sources of business?
- What percentage of adult asthma patients receive drug therapy within 365 days of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within 365 days of diagnosis?
- What percentage of adult asthma patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Real World data:
- Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
Key Drugs Covered
- Advair, Symbicort, Dulera, AirDuo, Breo, Dupixent, Fasenra, Nucala, Ventolin, ProAir, montelukast sodium, Flovent, Qvar, Spiriva, Trelegy
Key Analysis provided
- Brand/therapy usage across longitudinal patient sample
- Newly diagnosed patient analysis
- Treatment initiation and progression
- Line of therapy analysis
- Combination therapy analysis
- Source of business for recently treated patients
- Persistency and compliance analysis
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
- Asthma - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis - Adult Asthma (US)
- Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis Adult Asthma US January 2021
- Asthma | Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis | Adult Asthma | US | 2021 | Dashboard