Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is a rare, life-threatening disorder characterized by high blood pressure in the arteries of the lungs. It is a progressive condition marked by considerable morbidity and mortality. A wide array of drugs are available to treat PAH in the United States. Phosphodiesterase 5 (PDE-5) inhibitors and endothelin receptor antagonists (ERAs) are the most commonly prescribed first-line treatments; the more-efficacious prostacyclin therapies are used in later lines. Branded therapies feature highly in the PAH treatment algorithm, and combination therapy is common. Using a longitudinal claims data analysis, we demonstrate how newly diagnosed and recently treated PAH patients receive pharmacotherapy in the United States.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed PAH patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed PAH patients?
- How are Uptravi, Orenitram, Opsumit, and Adempas integrated in the treatment algorithm, and what are their sources of business?
- What percentage of PAH patients receive drug therapy within two years of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within two years of diagnosis?
- What percentage of PAH patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
Markets covered: United States
Key companies: United Therapeutics, Actelion, Pfizer, Bayer, Gilead
Key drugs: Adcirca, Opsumit, Tyvaso, Ventavis, Orenitram, Uptravi, Remodulin, Adempas, ambrisentan, bosentan, sildenafil, epoprostenol
- Pulmonary Hypertension - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithm Claims Data Analysis-Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (US)
- Treatment Algorithms CDA Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension US June 2022
- Treatment Algorithms CDA Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension US 2022 Dashboard
Sayani Datta, M.Sc.
Sayani Datta, M.Sc., is a principal analyst on the Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Renal, and Hematologic (CMRH) Disorders team at Clarivate. Her primary area of focus is nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). She has worked on various types of custom and syndicated research projects in several therapeutic areas and has experience in sales- and epidemiology-based forecasting, commercial opportunity assessments, and market tracking and intelligence. She holds a master of science degree in biotechnology from the University of Leeds, where she gained exposure to life sciences research and development working as a postgraduate research intern.