Several therapies from a range of drug classes are available to address the symptoms of narcolepsy, which include excessive daytime sleepiness and cataplexy. Despite the availability of many pharmacological treatments, a large proportion of patients have inadequate control of their narcolepsy symptoms. Given that narcolepsy treatment is highly individualized and complex, understanding the use of current therapies in the nuanced narcolepsy treatment algorithm ahead of anticipated product launches is essential. Our Treatment Algorithms research leverages national patient-level claims data to explore the use of key therapies in narcolepsy, such as modafinil, armodafinil, Harmony Biosciences’ Wakix, and Jazz Pharmaceuticals’ Xyrem, in both newly diagnosed and recently treated patients.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed narcolepsy patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed narcolepsy patients?
- How have branded agents such as Wakix, Xyrem, and Jazz Pharmaceuticals’ Sunosi and Xywav been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what is their source of business?
- What percentage of narcolepsy patients receive drug therapy within four years of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within four years of diagnosis?
- What percentage of narcolepsy patients are treated with monotherapy versus combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Geographies: United States
Real-world data: Longitudinal patient-level claims data analysis
Key drugs covered: armodafinil, modafinil, Sunosi, Vyvanse, Xyrem, Xywav, Wakix
Key companies covered: Eli Lilly, Harmony Biosciences, Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Takeda, Teva
Key analysis provided:
- Brand / therapy usage across longitudinal patient sample.
- Newly diagnosed patient analysis.
- Treatment initiation and progression.
- Line of therapy analysis.
- Combination therapy analysis.
- Source of business for recently treated patients.
- Persistency and compliance analysis.
- Product-level patient flowcharts.
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
The accompanying interactive dashboard provides novel delivery of data with interactive visuals, easier navigation, expanded analyses, and quarterly data refreshes.
- Narcolepsy - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis : Treatment Algorithms Claims Data Analysis (US)
- Treatment Algorithms CDA-Narcolepsy-US-June 2021
- Treatment Algorithms CDA Narcolepsy US 2021 Dashboard
Shefali Gulati, M.B.A.
Shefali Gulati, M.B.A., is an analyst on the CNS/Ophthalmology Disorders team at Clarivate. She is responsible for performing extensive secondary market research and analysis for major pharmaceutical markets. She has authored several CNS/Ophthalmology reports, including U.S. Treatment Algorithms, Unmet need, Special topics. Previously, Ms. Gulati was a knowledge management associate with ZS Associates, where she worked on multiple client projects pertaining to real-world claims data analysis, opportunity assessment, competitive landscape, pipeline analysis, and key product profiling. She holds an M.B.A. in pharmaceutical management from the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research and a bachelor’s degree in pharmacy from the Delhi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research.