For the 3.8 million people in the United States with Alzheimer’s disease (AD) dementia, approved pharmacotherapy is limited to only modestly effective procognitive symptomatic agents (e.g., donepezil, memantine). Understanding today’s treatment landscape is important for emerging players as the heavily generic AD therapy market prepares for the potential entry of new, high-cost brands—namely, landmark disease-modifying therapies and new behavioral adjuncts. Our Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis content provides national patient-level claims data to explore the use of key therapies in both newly diagnosed and recently treated patients.
- What patient shares do key therapies and brands garner by line of therapy in newly diagnosed AD patients? What are the quarterly trends in prescribing among recently treated and newly diagnosed AD patients?
- What is the dynamic between memantine IR/XR formulations now that both are generic? How has Namzaric been integrated into the treatment algorithm, and what is its source of business?
- What percentage of AD patients receive drug therapy within two years of diagnosis, and how quickly? What percentage of patients progress to later lines of therapy within two years of diagnosis?
- What percentage of AD patients are treated with monotherapy vs. combination therapy? What are the most commonly used combinations?
- What are the product-level compliance and persistency rates among drug-treated patients?
Treatment Algorithms: Claims Data Analysis provides detailed, quantitative analysis of the treatment journey and brand usage across lines of therapy and overall using real-world, patient-level claims data so that marketers can accurately assess their source of business, benchmark usage against competitors, and quantify areas of opportunity for their marketed or emerging brand.
Markets covered: United States
Key companies: Eisai, Novartis, AbbVie, AstraZeneca, Eli Lilly, Johnson & Johnson, Lundbeck / Otsuka, Acadia Pharmaceuticals.
Key drugs: Donepezil, galantamine, rivastigmine, rivastigmine patch, memantine IR, Namenda XR, Namzaric, antipsychotics, antidepressants.
- Alzheimer's Disease - Current Treatment - Detailed, Expanded Analysis: Treatment Algorithms - Claims Data Analysis (US) 2021
- Treatment Algorithms CDA Alzheimer's Disease US February 2021
- Treatment Algorithms CDA Alzheimer's Disease US 2021 Dashboard
Meher Baba Kumar Nakka
Meher Baba Kumar Nakka, M.S.(Pharm.), is an analyst on the CNS/Ophthalmology Disorders team at Clarivate. In this capacity, he works on a range of neurological indications, such as pain and migraine, and neurodegenerative disorders, such as Alzheimer’s disease. He holds a bachelor’s degree in pharmacy from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University in Hyderabad and a master’s degree in pharmacoinformatics from the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research in Mohali.