Data-driven analysis of innovation activities identifies five emerging trends and points to the need for greater cross-industry collaboration
Boston, January 9th, 2019 – The Pistoia Alliance, a global, not-for-profit alliance that works to lower barriers to innovation in life sciences R&D, today announced key trends for the life science industry in 2019 based on The Life Sciences Innovation Reportdeveloped with Clarivate Analytics, the global leader in providing trusted insights and analytics to accelerate the pace of innovation. According to the report, multi-disciplinary innovation, the implementation of new technologies, new approaches to research, the digitisation of R&D and healthcare, and academic contributions to biologics drug R&D are all key trends in the life sciences industry.
Members of The Pistoia Alliance helped to create the report, which includes analysis driven by Cortellis, a suite of intelligence solutions for drug development and commercialisation provided by Clarivate Analytics. Key contributors include executives from leading life science organisations such as Cancer Research UK, GlaxoSmithKline, AbbVie, and Diavics. The overarching theme of all emerging trends for 2019 is the continuing need for greater cross-industry collaboration to realise the potential in these areas.
“One of the aims of The Pistoia Alliance has always been to support life science companies, and one way we do this is by helping organisations set their R&D priorities and plan their investments,” commented Steve Arlington, President of The Pistoia Alliance. “Members of The Pistoia Alliance benefit from exclusive access to information from us and our partners – the Clarivate Analytics report is a good example of this. Given the Alliance’s primary goal of increasing collaboration within the life science industry and with other sectors, we are not surprised to see the link between the key trends for next year is the need for co-operation and input from a range of disciplines. We will continue to support our members to accelerate R&D innovation in 2019, and to help make progress on improving the lives of patients around the world.”
“The life sciences industry is at a real crossroads: heightened global competition, tougher regulatory standards and continued cost pressures make efficient innovation in R&D more imperative than ever,” said Christopher McKenna, Global Head of Life Sciences Professional Services & Consulting at Clarivate Analytics and co-author of the report. “I’m encouraged by what our analysis reveals. Cross-stakeholder collaboration, new digital technologies and therapeutic approaches, and the role of cloud-based computing, among others, are having a dramatic impact on drug and device development. This will continue to expand in 2019 and beyond, enabling more – and more novel – therapies to reach the market with advancement of more permanent efficacy for patients.”
Key report findings include:
- Innovation is being driven via collaboration from multiple industry stakeholders: The emergence and development of new tools like nanosensors, bi-specific antibodies and computational biology have highlighted the success that can be achieved from collaboration between researchers and organisations across a range of disciplines. This trend which will continue in 2019.
- Technologies are bring adopted to advance drug research: The report findings show budgets will continue to increase to allow for new technological advances, including the use of artificial intelligence in R&D decision making. Research from The Pistoia Alliance has already shown growth in the implementation of AI and blockchain
- New types of research are coming to the forefront: Research in precision medicine, immunotherapy and the microbiome are opening up new discovery pathways. Alongside genomic research, these new approaches will provide a more refined understanding of diseases, better diagnoses and improvements to treatment.
- Digitisation of R&D and healthcare will increase: R&D functions are already beginning to adopt large-scale use of cloud-based platforms, but this will accelerate this year. Mobile computing is poised to support the digitisation of health in combination with drug therapy, as well as through stand-alone therapies.
- Academia is increasingly contributing to biologics R&D: Academia has already made significant contributions to scientific innovation across genetic and cellular therapies, with antibodies, CAR-T and CRISPR-Cas9 all leading to new approaches to potential novel biological therapies. The role of academia will become more vital as researchers look to expand on existing research.
The Life Sciences Innovation Report can be found at: https://clarivate.com/g/life-sciences-innovation-report.
Pistoia Alliance members should contact Carmen Nitsche at email@example.com to obtain a copy of the report.
About The Pistoia Alliance:
The Pistoia Alliance is a global, not-for-profit members’ organization made up of life science companies, technology and service providers, publishers, and academic groups working to lower barriers to innovation in life science and healthcare R&D. It was conceived in 2007 and incorporated in 2009 by representatives of AstraZeneca, GSK, Novartis and Pfizer who met at a conference in Pistoia, Italy. Its projects transform R&D through pre-competitive collaboration. It overcomes common R&D obstacles by identifying the root causes, developing standards and best practices, sharing pre-competitive data and knowledge, and implementing technology pilots. There are currently over 100 member companies; members collaborate on projects that generate significant value for the worldwide life sciences R&D community, using The Pistoia Alliance’s proven framework for open innovation.
About Clarivate Analytics:
Clarivate Analytics is the global leader in providing trusted insights and analytics to accelerate the pace of innovation. Building on a heritage going back more than a century and a half, we have built some of the most trusted brands across the innovation lifecycle, including Web of Science, Cortellis, Derwent, CompuMark, MarkMonitor, and Techstreet. Today, Clarivate Analytics is a new and independent company on a bold entrepreneurial mission to help our clients radically reduce the time from new ideas to life-changing innovations. For more information, please visit www.clarivate.com
+44 207 436 0420
The Pistoia Alliance