EFFECTIVE: MAY 25, 2018
1. INTRODUCTION AND SCOPE
ScholarOne is a software solution provided by Clarivate Analytics to scholarly publishers and societies (in this Notice, “publisher”).
Your personal data in ScholarOne is under the control of each publisher. Clarivate acts as a data “processor”, handling your data in ScholarOne according to the instructions of the publisher. Personal data is any information that does, or could, identify you.
This Privacy Notice is provided by Clarivate and describes ScholarOne’s role in the collection, use, transfer, security, and eventual disposal (collectively “processing”) of your personal data. To gain a full insight into how your data is processed, you should additionally consult the publisher’s privacy notice or contact the publisher.
Throughout this notice, “Clarivate”, “we”, “us” or “our” means all the businesses of Clarivate Analytics.
2. CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
We will update this Notice from time to time, and will communicate material changes to you before they become effective by the best means available to us (for example, by a prominent notice in the ScholarOne service).
3. PERSONAL DATA COLLECTED
ScholarOne holds three categories of personal data:
1. Personal data that you provide to publishers when you create and use an account, for example, your contact information and academic résumé.
2. Data that other users of ScholarOne may input to create an account for you when you have co-authored a manuscript with them or they are interested in your taking part in the peer review process. ScholarOne’s “Reviewer Locator” functionality assists publishers to find potential reviewers from Clarivate’s Web of Science database.
3. Like most web-based services, ScholarOne uses standard technologies like web server logs and cookies to collect information about end-users’ use of the service. You can read more about our use of these technologies in our Cookie Notice.
4. PURPOSES OF PROCESSING
Clarivate processes your personal data in ScholarOne only to provide our services to the publishers. We do not use it for our own separate purposes.
Web server log, cookies, and related technologies are used by Clarivate for ScholarOne product improvement and troubleshooting purposes.
Publishers use ScholarOne to manage their workflow with you, for example to give you access to their ScholarOne site, and send you e-mails relating to your reviewing and editing activities.
Publishers may choose to activate a ScholarOne tool that helps detect fake peer reviews, in part through the processing of personal data, for example e-mail addresses and submission statistics.
Publishers may use your ScholarOne contact information to send you marketing communications. Each publisher is responsible for obtaining your consent, if required, to send you marketing communications and for managing your marketing preferences.
You should consult the publisher’s privacy notice for a full understanding of how each publisher uses your ScholarOne personal data.
EU GDPR ARTICLE 6 (LAWFULNESS OF PROCESSING) INFORMATION: As data controller, each publisher determines the legal basis upon which it processes the personal data of European individuals. These bases may include your consent and the necessity of fulfilling a contract with you.
5. RECIPIENTS OF THE DATA
Your personal data in ScholarOne will be accessed by:
* Clarivate employees and contractors whose roles require access to your data. Our personnel are bound to confidentiality terms which cover their obligations to protect personal data.
* Clarivate suppliers who process personal data on our behalf (“processors”); for example, ScholarOne is hosted on third-party servers. Clarivate suppliers are contractually bound to protect your data to the same standard as set out in this Notice.
* The publishers that are the “controllers” of your personal data and who may disclose your data to other organizations and individuals.
* Your data may be transferred to a third party as a result of any merger, acquisition, or similar corporate event involving Clarivate.
* We will disclose your personal data when required to by law.
6. DATA SECURITY
Clarivate maintains appropriate administrative, technical, and physical security measures to protect your personal data from accidental loss and unauthorized access or use. These measures include encryption, firewalls, roles-based data access, intrusion-detection software, and physical access controls to data centers. However, we cannot guarantee that loss, misuse, unauthorized acquisition, or alteration of your data will never occur.
7. DATA RETENTION
The period for which your data will be retained will be set by the policies of each publisher.
8. INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER
ScholarOne is hosted on servers in the United States. Ensuring appropriate safeguards for the transfer of your data from the European Union to the United States is the responsibility of each publisher that uses the ScholarOne software. However, safeguards are typically provided by Standard Contractual Clauses and other contract terms that are executed between Clarivate and the publisher.
9. YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
You should first contact each publisher with questions or requests about their use of your data, for example to request access to the data that they hold about you, or request that it be corrected or erased. However, you may also contact Clarivate with data privacy questions, in particular those that concern the role the ScholarOne solution performs in processing your personal data. You can contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. CONTACT US
For privacy requests and queries, contact us at: email@example.com
160 Blackfriars Road
London SE1 8EZ
United Kingdom www.clarivate.com