Did you Know? Spotlight on Essential Science Indicators
Easily assessing and reporting on your organization’s research activities is the best way to create policies and programs that highlight your strengths. But you also need to spot emerging trends, promote the achievements of your most influential researchers and identify when shifts in your strategy are needed.
Did you know you can do all of that, and more, within Essential Science IndicatorsTM?
- Who are the top authors by field? Search Highly Cited Authors and narrow down by research fields to identify the best of the best. Dig deeper to view their hot and highly cited papers and categorize all of the fields in which authors are ranked. View the 2015 Highly Cited Researchers!
- Understand emerging research trends. Quickly identify specialty areas within the research landscape. Analyze Web of ScienceTM Core Collection data to identify highly cited papers, then run another analysis for co-citation occurrences to find groups of papers that are frequently cited together. Within Essential Science Indicators, Research Fronts are clusters of related papers that are identified through patterns of co-citation, indicating new areas of inquiry. Watch this video to learn more.
- View annual expected citation rates. Help your researchers understand the impact of their papers as quantified by citations. To place this impact in context, view baseline citation figures by main field and year of publication, along with percentiles that provide specific citation thresholds for top-ranking papers in each field. Understand Baselines & Thresholds.
- Start your analysis with Web of Science. With both a Web of Science and Essential Science Indicators subscription, you will see metrics from Essential Science Indicators in your Web of Science Core Collection search results. View icons indicating papers that, thanks to notably elevated citation rates, have officially been designated as Hot (based on two-year totals) or Highly Cited (as tracked over the last decade).
- Take your analysis offline! First, you can save your analysis and come back to it at any time. This is a great way to track changes in citation performance over time. Additionally, you can export your results in a pdf, spreadsheet, or document list. Learn more.
Essential Science Indicators allows you to explore connections between papers as established by scientists and researchers and track emerging areas and monitor trends by discipline. Learn more about Essential Science Indicators by attending one of our training sessions.
Follow our Did you Know? product series for tips and tricks to maximize your use!